
The week before Halloween, Gabe was sick, and had to get up like 3 times a night to get his inhaler. On Tuesday, he called me from school, and I went and got him. I scheduled an appointment later that day with the doctor, and while we waited for that time to come, I tried to get him to lie down and rest. He wouldn’t lie down because it hurt his chest to lie down, he said he couldn’t breath in that position. He was really struggling for breath, and he started to panic, and I started to panic. I decided we couldn’t wait, and I took him in to see the doctor. I pleaded with the doctor not to put him back in the hospital. I feel like everything they do for him there, we can do at home. But after 3 breathing treatments, the doctor said his oxygen intake was getting worse—not better, and we were sent to the hospital. I was quiet while the doctor was off getting the paperwork filled out for the hospital, and Gabe asked me what I was thinking. I said, “I’m just really mad that we have to go back to the hospital. I hate going to the hospital!” He was quiet so I asked him what he was thinking, and he said, “I am just glad I didn’t die. I thought I was going to die.” That quickly changed my attitude, and I realized I should be glad that we have a hospital to go to.
In the hospital, they put Gabe on a continuous nebulizer. They put a mask on him, and it ran for probably 4 hours straight. It was awful because it made Gabe’s heart race, and it made him very jittery. When the doctor who was on-call at the hospital came in to see Gabe, Gabe took off his mask, looked up at him, and asked, “Are you Olivia’s dad?” We all looked at each other, surprised. The doctor said, “Yes, I am!” I guess Gabe recognized him as the father of one of his classmates! It was very funny to me.
I don’t know if it was the steroids they were pumping in to him or just boredom, but Gabe got so antsy being in the hospital! He was hooked to oxygen and couldn’t go anywhere but the bathroom, so he would run in place next to his bed! He said he felt like he could run 5 miles! He also got a craving for bacon while there. Every time a nurse would ask if he needed something, Gabe would say, “Yes. Do you have any bacon?”
We spent 3 days and 2 long nights in the hospital, and as I say every time this happens, I hope we don’t have to go back, ever. When they asked us when was the last time Gabe was in the hospital, we couldn’t remember because we’ve been there numerous times for numerous children! My friend suggested that maybe they will name a wing of the hospital after us, or maybe call it our “timeshare.” Or like my sister said about root canals, maybe they will give us a hospital punch card: stay 9 times get the 10th stay free.
This last weekend, Gabe was baptized. He was sooooo excited. He told me if he had to choose between going to Disneyland and having his cousins come, he would pick his cousins. They mean everything to him. It was a wonderful weekend, the best ever, in Gabe’s own words. I understand when people aren’t able to come to things like this, I really do. We can’t go to everything ourselves. But I am always amazed at how much it means to me when they do come. I guess if I had to pick between finding the most amazing garage sale ever and having my family come, I would pick my family. That’s probably the best way I can describe it. :)
We had soup and bread for the baptism—the same thing we had at Gabe’s baby blessing. And 5 days later, I am still eating soup and bread—breakfast, lunch and dinner! Ethan was going through the line to get his food after the baptism and made himself a sandwich. Between two pieces of bread, he put two cookies, some crackers, and some cheese. He ate every bite.
No comments:
Post a Comment