Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Cookies Make Everything Better

            Every time Ethan prays, he, without fail, always says two phrases. The first is “Thank you this can be the best day ever.” The second is, “Please bless angels will watch over us.” I know we’re not supposed to say the same things over and over again in our prayers, but these are two things that I love about Ethan, and I hope he always says them in his prayers. He thinks that every day is the best day ever. And he constantly has angels keeping him alive and out of trouble. He is very much a Christensen in that he seems to be attracted to trouble and he always has a good attitude about it!
            Some of the rest of us haven’t been blessed with such a positive demeanor. Sam was complaining one day about having to go to something that he was expected to go to. And I didn’t blame him. It really did sound boring and unorganized. When he first asked if he could just stay home this time, I was tempted to say yes, but he had made a commitment to go. So we talked about why he didn’t want to go, and then I asked him what would make it more fun. I said, “Do you want me to come with you? Should I make your favorite dinner so you can eat it when you get home? Can you memorize some jokes to tell to make everyone laugh?” We finally decided that he would bring a bag of cookies to share with everyone. He went, and he came home happy. I was glad that we came up with a solution together. I hope he learns that he needs to be where he says he will be and not give up because he doesn’t like something or because it is boring. I need to learn that too! I hope he learns that he can make the best out of not-so-great situations.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, thank you for sharing this. I love how you started with Ethan's prayers and then segued into Sam having to go to (scouts, right?) and then tied it all back into how we can all learn to make every day the best day ever.

    And your title: the perfect lead in. It's like you are giving the perfect example of a short, persuasive essay.

    Which is why I love it when you update your blog.

    ReplyDelete