Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Baby!

Another labor story . . .


            My baby is 5 weeks old! Everyone says that babies grow up and change so quickly, but I feel like I’ve had this one forever! When exactly was the last time I slept for more than 2 hours in a row?! Greyson likes to cuddle, and he likes to eat, and he likes to sleep (play dead) during the day when his siblings are awake and can torment him.
            During my whole pregnancy, I prayed that the baby would be born at the right time. So I have to believe that we made the right decision to be induced on December 22nd. I went in to the hospital at 6:00 a.m. and was started at 7. I have always prided myself on having the will-power to wait until I was dilated to a 6 before getting an epideral. Finally, at 11:30, I was in a lot of pain and called the nurse because I was sure I was atleast at a 6 by then. I was at a 3. I got the epideral anyway and decided the heck with will-power. Nate was getting hungry and decided to go get some lunch since things were going rather slowly. When he got back at 12:30, he met the doctor rushing in the door. Nurses were bustling around getting things ready—I was at a 10! Greyson was born at 12:51. The doctor layed him on my chest, and I started to cry. He was perfect. I have had 5 children, but I am always amazed at the miracle of birth. His was big, 8 pounds and nine ounces and his shoulders were huge—I felt that before I saw him. :) It was a busy couple of days at the hospital, and it was our 5th baby, so the nurses left us alone for the time we were there.


            The recovery has been difficult. I had a bladder infection that wouldn’t go away as well as mastitis. I go crazy sometimes because I feel like I am not accomplishing anything because all I do all day is feed, change, and protect the baby! But it is also so good to sit and hold the baby and enjoy him. It is good to be forced to slow down. I also love watching my kids with the baby. They all loved him immediately. Someone told me that whenever there is contention in their house, they just have the ones involved in the contention hold the baby, and suddenly, everyone is calm. What a great gift to give to your children—a sibling! Someone to love and care for! 

3 comments:

  1. He is beautiful Katie. I love the name Greyson too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always give good advice on your blog, Miss Katie. Brigham is my "least calm" child, but even now that Calvin is 17 months, it always helps Brig to be calm when I ask him to play with Cal.

    And I love the picture of the two of you! Thank you for sharing your story. And hurrah for epidurals!!!

    ReplyDelete