One
of the best things about having a baby is that my mom comes and stays with me.
Those few days that I have with her are days that I will always treasure. I
took a pre-natal class before I had my first baby, and every time I have a
baby, I have to watch educational videos at the hospital, but it is from my mom
that I have learned the most about how to really care for a baby. I learned
that when a baby is crying sometimes he likes to be wrapped up tight, and other
times he just wants his clothes off! She has taught me to cuddle a baby and smother
his fuzzy head with kisses and rub his back. My mom has given all my kids their
first bath. It is her assignment from me because I am not very good at it, and I
have an umbilical cord phobia. :) My mom talks to the baby as she washes them and keeps them warm with a towel.
Then she covers them in lotion. It is a beautiful sight. It was almost
Christmas Eve before we got home from the hospital after having Greyson. With
all the partying going on that week, I had decided that my mom would not have
time to come give my baby his first bath. But the day after Christmas, even
though I knew she was tired and had a house to clean from having company, she
called me up and said she was coming. Greyson didn’t cry at all when my mom
gave him his bath. He just looked at her, and that is when she told me about
this poem. She said that whenever she looked at new babies, she wondered what
they would tell us if only they could talk.
Day Old Child
My day old
child lay in my arms,
With my lips
against his ear.
I whispered
strongly, "How I wish--
I wish that you
could hear,
"I've a
hundred wonderful things to say,
(a tiny cough
and a nod),
hurry, hurry,
hurry and grow
So I can tell
you about God."
My day-old
baby's mouth was still
And my words
only tickled his ear,
But a kind of
light passed through his eyes,
And I saw this
thought appear:
"How I
wish I had a voice and words,
I've a hundred
things to say.
Before I
forget, I'd tell you of God --
I left Him
yesterday."
--Carol Lynn
Pearson

Such an amazing Grandma! That is a fun tradition you have with her.
ReplyDeleteSo very sweet, glad you took pictures to document it....
ReplyDeleteI wasn't expecting to cry at this post. I always did have a soft spot for poetry :). And thank you for sharing, because now I will think of that poem when I hold a new baby.
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy for you to have your amazing mother back! Greyson is lucky, too.