When we remodeled our entryway, I painted a picture of the tree of life to hang above the “mantel” part of the entry. The builder who was helping us saw the painting and said he would take some money off our bill if I painted one for him. Not long after I gave him his painting, I received a call from him. He asked if he could come over, saying that he had a little surprise for us. He came in with a beautiful walnut frame that he had made himself to frame the picture I had done for our entry. Tears came to my eyes when I saw it because I was so shocked that someone would do something so thoughtful for me. So I asked him, “Why did you do this for me?” He had a grin on his face and a sparkle in his eyes as he said, “Oh, just because.”
I am a person who loves a good deal. I shop the ads, use coupons, and hit the thrift stores. In fact, I sometimes even have dreams about finding rare antiques at a garage sale or money on the street. J And so when I was given a gift without thought of getting anything in return, it amazed and humbled me. It is good to be frugal, but sometimes it is more important to “pay” more for something to show someone their worth. I look at my painting, with that beautiful walnut frame around it, and it reminds me of that. The tree of life represents God’s love, and the frame around it represents to me the love that we should have for one another—love that is Christ-like, given purely, without thought of receiving anything in return.
While going through this horrendous bout of shingles, I have seen this kindness many times. And it amazes me every time. My friend was there for me from the beginning. She brought us dinner not just once but twice. She didn’t say, “Okay, I’ve done my part, now I’m done. “ She wasn’t “crossing me off her to-do list,” and it made me feel like she really cared about me. My sister left her family at home and came to take care of me and my family for a day. When I told her she needed to be home with her family, she said, “You are my family too.” Every phone call, every item of food brought over, every visit, every offer to help meant so much. I had two people at church, people I don’t know very well, stop me and tell me that they had been praying for me. My siblings and aunt called and came over and brought food. My family fasted for me, even my parents in Guam. I am humbled when I think of those prayers and those who went without food—for me. I won’t forget that. I needed to feel loved, and I did.
I am inspired by those in this world who give so much and then give more. My sister told me about a lady in her community who teaches music lessons to kids, for free. Our Relief Society teacher told us about a time when she heard about a young woman with little kids whose husband had left for the summer. She secretly made them a Family Home Evening lesson/acitivity/treat every Monday until he got home. It amazes me what people do, and it makes me think that I can do more. I don’t particularly like to be the one receiving. I feel more comfortable serving rather than being served, but I realize that from being served, I now know better how to serve.

Thanks for the inspiration! But my friend you have it all wrong, who know how to give and that is why so many gave to you!!! I've been on that receiving end and I constantly see all that you do. I count you as one of my choicest blessings. Just thought you should know...
ReplyDelete