I
feel like I am really missing out because I haven’t seen all the Harry Potter
movies. It bothers me that I don’t know all the details of the whole story. I know I should have read the books to my kids instead, but . . . we decided to borrow the movies from a friend and watch all of them, 1 movie a
day! I didn’t really think things through to realize that two of my four children are too
young to watch the movies, so even though yesterday was our last movie, I still
haven’t seen them all! Anyway, here are the activities and treats we had each
day of our eight days of Potter. I tried to keep it all simple and inexpensive!
Day
1
Color
banners for different Hogwarts houses
Popcorn served in a cauldron
Pumpkin
juice (aka orange julius)
Movie
1
Day
2
Make Harry Potter scarves (I wanted to make this as easy as possible. I used a 28" piece of yellow fleece and then used fabric spray paint to make the maroon stripes. It worked really well! I took pictures of the process below. I cut them into 4, 7" strips. Four scarves cost about $6, and the kids were able to help make them. I made them wear them all week.)
Fruit
& dip/Veggie & dip
Movie
2
Day
3
Character
quiz (from http://www.quibblo.com/quiz/397pBC/Which-Harry-Potter-Character-Are-You)
Sorting
hat ritual (to announce results from quiz)
Butter
beer (Ginger Ale with caramel flavoring added that I found at the dollar store)
Movie
3
Day
4
Lightning
bolt shaped breadsticks w/ bloody marinara dipping sauce
Movie
4
Day
5
Guess
# of jelly beans in a jar (aka Bertie Bott's Every Flavor beans)
Eat
jelly beans
Movie
5
Day
6
Make
pretzel wands (pretzel rods found at dollar store, dip in peanut butter or frosting)
Movie
6
Day
7
Paint
stick wands (This was by far my kids' favorite. Luckily, I am a hoarder, and I had a wooden dowel lying around from a different project that I cut to the sizes they wanted. :) The kids loved decorating their "wands" the way they wanted, and they have played with them more than they've played with most of the toys we have bought for them.
Funny how the simple things are sometimes the best.)
Eat popsicles
Movie
7
![]() |
| Bryn "Hermione" Wand-Stealer Christensen |
![]() |
| E Potter Power Christensen |
![]() |
| Gabe Harry the Horcrux Hunter Christensen |
![]() |
| Sam the Snake-Whisperer Christensen |
Day
8
Horcrux
Hunt (Use clues to find all the different horcrux's. I found the clues on-line. There was a treat at the end. I had fun doing this and was giggling in delight as I put it together! Again, I had most of the stuff already to do this.)
Movie
8
















Katie, you are such a fun, fun Mom....I can't believe the work you put into this....way to go...by the way, I wish I'd been invited...I Love Harry Potter....
ReplyDeleteNow THAT is a fun mom. I bet your kids looked forward to each day. And I am bookmarking this post so I can totally copy you. Those pretzel wands look yummy . . . but were they? Kids always love toys they made themselves the most.
ReplyDeleteRobyn, I wish you WOULD have come! And Becca, the wands really were kind-of gross, but my kids eat anything if it's covered in frosting! :)
ReplyDelete